Sunday 17 January 2010

The new hip travels to Cambridge

The past week saw me in Cambridge spending time with A, (daughter no 2). I travelled there alone with my new hip and the continued icy conditions meant most of my stay was spent indoors. I was under strict instructions from all members of the family to BE CAREFUL! Honestly sometimes I think they don't trust me....but, like everyone, sooner or later self preservation kicks in. My hip would have a restful week and wait for better walking conditions.

It was a good time to be around as there was our son in law's **birthday to celebrate on Wednesday. A special meal was planned. The February edition of the BBC Good Food magazine provided inspiration for the main course; Mango chicken with spiced pilau. We decided that a birthday cake, which would double up as the dessert, would be made on Tuesday. A and I chose a Delia Smith recipe for a moist chocolate and almond cake. It appeared quite straight forward, on first reading...

but of course I am now a little rusty with my cake making and unfamiliar with A and N's kitchen so what should have taken about an hour took me a whole afternoon. It was the grating of the chocolate which really held me up...a job for the Magimix I thought. 15 minutes later, after a close encounter with a cheese grating blade and with the book of instructions covered in traces of blood, I concluded that there was no chocolate grating attachment. Luckily A's first aid kit contained plasters.

Hand grating the required amount of chocolate, beating the rock hard butter and sugar, whisking the egg whites, adding the remaining ingredients and finally assembling the cake ready for baking took quite some time.

But it was all worth it in the end.


and N celebrated his birthday in style!

1 comment:

  1. wow. it looks delicious! And a very Happy Birthday to N as well. Maybe I can persuade my Mother in Law to come and visit, and make us fabulous chocolata cakes? Shall have a word.
    x

    ReplyDelete