Sunday 9 August 2009

What's in a name?


When I was a child I was given Rose Hip syrup for its vitamin C content. When I became a mother I gave it to my children too. It went down well.
A few months ago I began to see and read articles about a new potential benefit of Rose Hips. Scientists have discovered what the indigenous people of the Americas discovered centuries ago, that the extract from a wild variety of Rose Hip called Rosa canina, offers effective pain relief. More effective apparently than paracetemol in the treatment of osteoarthritis.
Worth a try I thought, as I hurried round to my local branch of Holland and Barrett. As I took the plastic container to the checkout I glanced again at the label. I read 'ROSE HIP' in pink script. But why 'HIP'? Those indigenous Americans must have known a thing or two!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that rosehip syrup! Was it like a cordial that we made into a drink?

    ReplyDelete