Friday 26 February 2010

Bionic gardening

I now know that life is definitely returning to normal after spending two afternoons sorting out my veggy plot. The contents of the compost bin were forked onto the raised bed and then followed plenty of digging.... something I struggled with before I became bionic. When I created le potager three years ago, assisted by kind son and WPH, I thought a raised bed would be sensible, as the hip was already giving me gyp. Today I clambered on and off the oak sleeper edges with ease and enjoyed every minute of my workout.
I was planting onion sets, a staple vegetable for any cook, particularly in France. The sets are easy to grow, as you just push them into the ground and then wait for them to take root....in my experience a hassle free crop. The birds can mistake the tops of the sets for nest building material but the sets are easily pushed back into the soil. I planted 250 grammes, enough for three rows and look forward to harvesting them later this summer.



I then moved on to broad beans, one of my very favourite vegetables. I brought this packet, a dwarf variety from the UK , as the French seem to prefer the giant sort. These are an easy crop too and the dwarf varieties seem less prone to blackfly. I can't wait for the first tasting....


Once everything was planted I emptied the water butt, gently watering the veggy plot, before finally hanging my watering can on its branch for the next time....I have a feeling that I will find an excuse to plant something else tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Can you come and do some digging in my garden next, please?

    ReplyDelete