Friday 9 October 2009

A Useful Diversion



I have knitted since the age of six and will always be grateful to my mother who taught me the basic skills so effectively. She kept a stash of unused wool in a massive chest of drawers and would occasionally pull out the heavy bottom drawer to let me choose from its hidden scented depths. In the 1950s knitting was also included in the 'craft' repertoire at my primary school. Plenty of practice on Friday afternoons, using big needles and thick wool, resulted in tea cosies (shapeless but effective!) and endless dolls' blankets. Reading simple patterns followed, shaping became more adventurous and the production line has continued ever since.

At the moment knitting provides a welcome way to fill my sedentary way of life as I sit and wait for Hip Replacement Day (now referred to as HR Day). We are also waiting for our fifth grandchild to make an appearance so unusually I have several completed projects keeping me company. I hope the little cherub won't keep us waiting much longer....

This afternoon I completed a sleeveless sweater for grandson number 2. He asked for the scottie dog pocket and I can only guess as to what he will keep in it! I have decided though that the next project will be for me....a pair of socks to keep my feet warm after HR Day. That reminds me that post HR Day, as one of his duties as my official 'carer', WPH will need to assist me in dressing. The prospect of him wrestling with compression stockings doesn't bear thinking about! Socks should therefore be a doddle. I'll keep you all informed....

1 comment:

  1. Your baby hat is much more successful than mine - which has now been passed on to the dollies....

    Lovely colours; especially on the Scottie sweater.

    ReplyDelete