Thursday 12 November 2009

The Daily Walk

'Begin by pottering around the house and by taking a short walk each day, trying to avoid uneven ground.' This is a key piece of advice in the leaflet I was given on leaving the NOC. Like most people I had taken walking for granted, but a hip replacement suddenly focuses the mind on this basic human skill. Initially co-ordinating sticks and feet was tricky but after a week the left stick, right foot, right stick, left foot sequence now comes naturally.
I look forward with excitement to my daily walk. I fill my lungs with air and conclude that the quality of the Oxford air is better than I ever thought possible! Reluctant, unused muscles are slowly returning to life, particularly the gluteous maximus...(buttocks to you and me).
The walks began last Saturday when I ventured as far as the pavement. Each day I set myself a new target as I have a goal of walking a mile by six weeks post operation. This morning I have walked 300 metres in the welcome sunshine. Fantastic. Now for some inside pottering....

No comments:

Post a Comment