Tuesday 24 November 2009

Out and About

Escaping outside for a daily walk has been more tricky with the recent weather but I was quick to see a break in the clouds this morning and took my opportunity. Having conquered all the nearby bridges (slopes are much more demanding for the new hip) I now have a greater choice of routes. My first stop was down by the canal to see the narrow boats at their moorings. I was able to admire the hardiness and ingenuity of the owners... solar panels, bicycles, plant pots full of herbs and winter fuel, amongst other things, are stored on the tops of the boats. WPH, detecting a glint in my eye assures me life would be difficult for someone with a dodgy hip on one of those!

Moving on I couldn't resist pausing by the bullrushes, which provide hiding places for so many birds, in the wildlife corridor which runs behind our house. There were birds around ....but all too quick for my camera!

I was also glad to see there is more than enough natural food around to keep the tits, finches, robins and occasional sparrows happy this winter. The seeds and berries together with nuts and fat balls in garden feeders suggest the birds of ox2 could soon be fighting the flab!

Before returning home I walked up onto one of the main bridges over the canal. From there I could look down on some ducks who were admiring a new piece of canal bank reinforcement. In the Spring water plants will emerge from these sausages of sacking and soil. Meanwhile they provide a handy perch for the ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment